In the Church News of 1891, it is reported that the building of St. Paul’s Anglican Church began. We cannot find any record of the builder of the church nor is the foundation stone visible, though this may be hidden under the porch floor- the porch was added sometime in the early 1900’s. The title was issued on 8th February 1892 and it is believed the church opened in 1883, having cost a total of Three Hundred and Thirty Pounds. The first recorded marriage in the parish was conducted at St. Paul’s on 24th October 1906. William Francis Blockey was wed to Rosina Ethel Maud Tilley by Rev. Fred Berry.
In 1932, His lordship the Bishop paid a visit to the Parish of Derby, where he dedicated a beautiful carved Tasmanian Oak Altar which is today on display at the Old Schoolhouse museum, just across the road from the Parish Hall. The church was operating until the mid nineties when it was sold and renovations began.
The Parish Hall, now St. Paul’s Bed and Breakfast, was officially opened in January 1917 where church services were also held – the hall was built from funds raised by the mine workers of the day. In May 1918, the Parish Hall was leased to the Education Department so it could be used to teach of cooking and sewing. The Department installed a fuel stove in the fireplace and rental paid was twelve shillings and sixpence per week. The hall was used for various social purposes including social dancing and dancing classes as well as dinners, bazaars and social gatherings.
Today, the Church has been renovated into a lovely private residence with a mezzanine floor and polished floors, and the Parish Hall has just been renovated into a brand new, historic Bed and Breakfast, with accommodation featuring 2 rooms, 2 en suites, lounge area and garden seating. Every evening the kangaroos and possums can be seen in the garden and black cockatoo and kookaburra’s are regular guests as well.
Experience the history, enjoy the ambiance and come and stay!
The parish Hall (foreground) & St Paul's Anglican Church
The Parish Hall
St Paul's Anglican Church - (now a private residence)